Under ordinary circumstances in Florida, the father could not be ordered to pay for a college education for a minor child. Now obviously, under most areas of the law, there are exceptions and gray areas and there are ways that this could actually happen. However, typically, they involve some sort of an agreement. If there was an agreement between the spouses at the time of the divorce, that one of the things that they’re going to do, and it can be ordered in the court at that time, would be the college education. However, it’s not going to be enforceable by the court’s contempt powers. So any remedy for a failure to pay for a college education would only be enforceable under what we call contract. And the remedies are much more narrow.

Got additional questions or need Legal Advice in Panama City, Florida?

If you have a legal issue and would like to speak with Attorney Albritton or one of the firm’s other trial lawyers, contact us today to schedule an appointment to sit down and discuss it.

Albritton Law Firm | 23 Harrison Avenue | Panama City, FL 32401 | Phone: | (850)215-0200